FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team came away from Sunday’s doubleheader at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center with two decisive wins. In the opening match, the Razorbacks defeated Louisiana-Lafayette, 7-0, and then returned to duplicate the feat against Seminole College in the evening match.
Against Louisiana-Lafayette, the Razorbacks earned the first team point by winning of two of the three doubles matches. The team of Chris Nott and Dmitry Lebedev were moved up in the line-up to the No. 1 doubles spot and they responded with an 8-3 win over Alexander Rupertsson and Arlen Domonev.
In singles play, No. 76 Blake Strode claimed his first of two matches on the day with a win over Piotr Olechowski, 6-2, 6-2. Including Strode’s victory, the Razorback netters were 6-0 in singles against the Ragin’ Cajuns.
The dual against Seminole College saw the Razorbacks win all nine matches—three doubles and six singles. Freshmen Matt Hogan and Nick Spinazze teamed for the first time and defeated Aaron Goode and Andrew Carter, 8-1, to pick up the first match win. UA clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win by Nott and Lebedev at the top doubles position.
Spinazze and Taylor King picked up their first dual match singles victories against the Trojans. Spinazze beat Goode, 6-3, 6-1, at the No. 6 spot, while King blanked Armando Morales in the second set to win, 6-2, 6-0.
With the two victories, the Razorbacks pull even at 2-2 on the season and move on to face Wichita State at 6 p.m. Friday, Feb. 8 at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center. Log on to www.hogwired.com for complete results and more news about Arkansas tennis.
Arkansas 7, Louisiana-Lafayette 0
February 3, 2008
1. #76 Blake Strode (UA) def. Piotr Olechowski (ULL), 6-2, 6-2
2. Chris Nott (UA) def. Arlen Domonev (ULL), 6-0, 6-1
3. Dmitry Lebedev (UA) def. Janusz Conradi (ULL), 6-2, 7-5
4. Matt Hogan (UA) def. Jorge Delgado (ULL), 6-2, 6-3
5. Tyler Tarnasky (UA) def. Ryan Hess (ULL), 6-4, 6-4
6. Bradwin Williams (UA) def. Alexander Rupertsson (ULL), 6-4, 6-3
1. Chris Nott/Dmitry Lebedev (UA) def. Alexander Rupertsson/Arlen Domonev (ULL), 8-3
2. Blake Strode/Taylor King (UA) def. Janusz Conradi/Ryan Hess (ULL), 8-3
3. Jorge Delgado/Piotr Olechowski (ULL) def. Bradwin Williams/Tyler Tarnasky (UA), 8-7(4)
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (1, 2, 6, 4, 5, 3)
Arkansas 7, Seminole College 0
February 3, 2008
1. #76 Blake Strode (UA) def. Andres Nunez (SC), 6-1, 6-3
2. Dmitry Lebedev (UA) def. Andrew Carter (SC), 6-2, 6-2
3. Matt Hogan (UA) def. Anton Matveev (SC), 6-1, 6-2
4. Bradwin Williams (UA) def. Brett Little (SC), 6-1, 6-2
5. Taylor King (UA) def. Armando Morales (SC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Nick Spinazze (UA) def. Aaron Goode (SC), 6-3, 6-1
1. Chris Nott/Dmitry Lebedev (UA) def. Andres Nunez/Anton Matveev (SC), 8-5
2. Blake Strode/Taylor King (UA) def. Armando Morales/Brett Little (SC), 8-2
3. Matt Hogan/Nick Spinazze (UA) def. Aaron Goode/Andrew Carter (SC), 8-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (4, 5, 3, 1, 6, 2)