FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – In a hard-fought match that came down to heated third sets on courts 2 and 6, the University of Arkansas men’s tennis team fell to Auburn 4-2 at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center on Sunday.
With the loss the Razorbacks fell to 11-9 overall, 1-5 in the SEC, while the Tigers improved to 12-7 overall and 2-5 in conference play.
Auburn claimed the first win of the day as Lukas Ollert and Marko Krickovic defeated Razorback pair junior Santiago Munoz and freshman Branch Terrell 6-3 in the No. 1 position. Arkansas rallied back with sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese netting a 6-3 win over Joseph Van Dooren and Maxime Hinnisdaels in the No. 3 spot. Playing on the No. 2 court, senior Jovan Parlic and Giammarco Micolani clinched the point for the Razorbacks when they beat Petar Tomic and Oliver Plaskett 6-4.
With momentum in its favor, Arkansas collected the first singles victory of the match. Playing in the No. 4 spot for his third consecutive match, den Toom quickly bettered Van Dooren 6-3, 6-2. But the Tigers took control back, winning in straight sets on courts 3 and 4 to bring the overall score to 2-2.
Micolani played a strong first set, bageling No. 59 Ollert in the No. 1 position. However, the Razorback could not hold on, falling 6-3, 6-1 in the second and third sets.
With Auburn ahead 3-2, the match came down to courts 2 and 6. Parlic rallied back from a 6-2 loss to No. 103 Hinnisdaels in the first set to win the second 7-6 (7-3). Freshman David Herrerias collected an easy 6-1 win in his first, but then fell 6-2, 6-4 to Oliver Plaskett in the No. 6 spot. Parlic was tied 3-3 with Hinnisdaels in his third set when Plaskett clinched the match for Auburn.
Arkansas will hit the road for a pair of away matches next week. The Razorbacks first face No. 7 Texas A&M at 6 p.m., CT in College Station, Texas on Friday and then No. 23 LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana at 1 p.m., CT on Sunday.
Arkansas vs Auburn
March 22, 2015 at Fayetteville, Ark.
George M. Billingsley Tennis Center
Auburn 4, Arkansas 2
1. Lukas Ollert/Marko Krickovic (AU) def. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK) 6-2
2. Jovan Parlic/Giammarco Micolani (ARK) def. Petar Tomic/Oliver Plaskett (AU) 6-4
3. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) def. Joseph Van Dooren/Maxime Hinnisdaels (AU) 6-3
1. #59 Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 0-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Jovan Parlic (ARK) vs. # 103 Maxime Hinnisdaels (AU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 3-3, unfinished
3. #121 Marko Krickovic (AU) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-2, 6-4
4. Johan den Toom (ARK) def. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Dante Saleh (AU) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-4, 6-3
6. Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. David Herrerias (ARK) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
Auburn 12-7; National ranking #51
Arkansas 11-9; National ranking #56
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,5,1,6)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.