FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team faced its first dual defeat of the 2015 season as it fell to No. 9 Texas 5-2 at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center on Sunday.
With the loss, the Razorbacks fell to 2-1 overall, while the Longhorns improved to 2-0.
Unable to keep up with Texas’ doubles play, Arkansas lost the point quickly. First, Razorback duo of freshman David Herrerias and junior William Albanese were defeated by John Mee and Nick Naumann 6-1, then freshman Branch Terrell and junior Santiago Munoz were bettered by Søren Hess-Olesen and Adrien Berkowicz 6-0. Junior Giammarco Micolani and senior Jovan Parlic were beating Adrian Ortiz-Ruiz and Michael Riechmann 4-2 when play was called.
The Razorbacks were able to get some momentum back on their side in singles, claiming two wins and pushing two matches to third sets. Collecting the first Arkansas victory of the day was Munoz who easily won his first set against Mee 6-3 in the No. 5 position, and then fought out a tiebreaker in the second set to come away victorious 7-6 (7-3). Battling through three sets with Reichmann, den Toom ultimately netted a 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 win in the No. 3 spot for the second Razorback point.
Albanese came back from a 6-2 loss in his first set against Naumann in the No. 4 position to win the second 6-3, but fell 6-4 in the third.
Arkansas will host its fourth and fifth matches in four days as it faces Nebraska-Omaha in a doubleheader on Monday at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center starting at 10 a.m., CT. This will be the Mavericks’ first dual event of the 2015 season. In 2013-14, Nebraska-Omaha went 6-18 overall and 1-4 in Summit League play.
Admission is free and open to the public. The matches will take place on the indoor courts at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center, located at 1503 Nettleship Street, Fayetteville, AR 72701. Free pizza will be available to fans as supplies lasts. Two tickets to the @RazorbackMBB versus Alabama game on Thursday will be given away through a drawing which will take place between doubles and singles. Fans can enter to win this drawing at the promotions table at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center on Monday.
Arkansas vs. Texas
Jan 18, 2015 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Dills Indoor Tennis Center)
#9 Texas 5, Arkansas 2
1. #13 Søren Hess-Olesen (TEXAS) def. Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 7-6 (9-7), 6-0
2. #48 Adrien Berkowicz (TEXAS) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 7-5, 6-4
3. Johan den Toom (ARK) def. Michael Riechmann (TEXAS) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4. Nick Naumann (TEXAS) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. John Mee (TEXAS) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Adrian Ortiz-Ruiz (TEXAS) def. David Herrerias (ARK) 6-2, 6-3
1. Søren Hess-Olesen/Adrien Berkowicz (TEXAS) def. Branch Terrell/Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-0
2. Giammarco Micolani/Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. Adrian Ortiz-Ruiz/Michael Riechmann (TEXAS) 4-2
3. John Mee/Nick Naumann (TEXAS) def. David Herrerias/William Albanese (ARK) 6-1
No. 9 Texas 2-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,5,1,4,2,3)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.