FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas men’s tennis claimed its first Southeastern Conference win of the season, defeating Alabama 4-3 at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center on Thursday.
With the win the Razorbacks improved to 11-5 overall, 1-1 in the SEC, while the Crimson Tide fell to 8-9 overall and 0-2 in conference play.
Doubles play got off to an exciting start. After the Razorback duo of junior Santiago Munoz and freshman Branch Terrell fell to No. 26-ranked Becker O’Shaughnessey and Korey Lovett 6-3 in the No. 1 position, sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese made up for the loss by taking the No. 3 spot, 6-3, over Danny Kerznerman and Nikko Madregallejo. With the No. 2 court as the deciding match of the doubles point, Arkansas pair senior Jovan Parlic and junior Giammarco Micolani fought to a tiebreaker with Sean Donohue and Stuart Kenyon, but ultimately won 7-6 (7-4).
In singles, the Razorbacks quickly collected five out of six first sets. Freshman David Herrerias was able to keep that momentum going as he claimed the first Arkansas singles victory of the day against Donohue 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 6 position. Also wrapping up in two sets was Munoz who netted a 6-4, 6-3 win over Kenyon.
The final singles victory was hard fought by Arkansas. Despite winning first sets on the No. 3 and 4 courts, the Razorbacks could not hold on for wins in the second and third sets. The match came down to the No. 1 spot. Micolani split the first two sets with Lovett, but eventually battled to a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 victory to clinch.
Arkansas hits the road for its first away SEC match against Mississippi State at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre on Saturday at 12 p.m., CT.
Arkansas vs Alabama
March 5, 2015 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Dills Indoor Tennis Center)
Arkansas 4, Alabama 3
1. #26 B. O’Shaughnessey/Korey Lovett (UA) def. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK) 6-3
2. Jovan Parlic/Giammarco Micolani (ARK) def. Sean Donohue/Stuart Kenyon (UA) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) def. Danny Kerznerman/Nikko Madregallejo (UA) 6-3
1. Giammarco Micolani (ARK) def. Korey Lovett (UA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Danny Kerznerman (UA) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-4, 6-3
3. B. O’Shaughnessey (UA) def. Johan den Toom (ARK) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Nikko Madregallejo (UA) def. William Albanese (ARK) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Stuart Kenyon (UA) 6-4, 6-3
6. David Herrerias (ARK) def. Sean Donohue (UA) 6-2, 6-2
Arkansas 11-5; National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,3,4,2,1)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.