FAYETTEVILLE — The No. 58 University of Arkansas men’s tennis team (2-0) opened up its 2014 spring season with a sweep of Mercer (0-2) in doubleheader action in Fayetteville, Ark., on Friday.
Opening the third straight season with a victory in the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center, the Razorbacks earned a 5-2 win to start, then closed out the day’s work with a 6-1 victory. Senior Mike Nott led the way for Arkansas with a perfect 4-0 individual record, earning a pair of wins in both singles and doubles play.
New head coach Andy Jackson also earned his first two wins at the helm of the Arkansas program.
"Since I’m new and we’re new to each other–the team and I–we came back a week before school started and had sort of a training camp where we played a lot," Coach Jackson said. "This week, we had done less, so we were excited to see where we stood against Mercer. You’d like to say that we’re getting better and seeing improvements and I think we saw signs today. Mike Nottplayed really well and some others as well."
In addition to Nott, redshirt seniorHall Fessalso had a nice day going 3-1 individually in both singles and doubles play. Newcomers Juan Marino, Johan den Toom and redshirt freshman Jacob Herndoneach saw action on the day, as den Toom impressed by opening with a singles victory and a pair of doubles victories alongside teammate Nott.
Arkansas travels next to face the University of Texas in Austin, Texas, on Jan. 19. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow@RazorbackMTENon Twitter.
Match No. 1 – No. 58 Arkansas 5, Mercer 2
Start Time: 1:00 PM
Match No. 1 – Singles
1. Mike Nott (ARK) def. Austin Emmet (MU) 6-4, 4-4
2. Hall Fess (ARK) def. Arnav Mohanty (MU) 6-5 (6-3), 6-1
3. Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Anderson Scarpa (MU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Manuel De Luis (MU) def. Pete Thomason (ARK) 6-4, 6-3
5. Johan den Toom (ARK) def. Arsav Mohanty (MU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Oliver Snaider (MU) def. Juan Marino (ARK) 6-4, 6-5 (7-5)
Match No. 1 – Doubles
1. Mike Nott/Johan den Toom (ARK) def. Oliver Snaider/Austin Emmet (MU) 6-3
2. Hall Fess/Pete Thomason (ARK) def. Arnav Mohanty/Arsav Mohanty (MU) 6-2
3. Santiago Munoz/Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. Manuel De Luis/Anderson Scarpa (MU) 6-2
Match No. 2 – No. 58 Arkansas 6, Mercer 1
Start Time: 4:15 PM
Match No. 2 – Singles
1. Nott (ARK) def. Snaider (MU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
2. Parlic (ARK) def. Mohanty (MU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Fess (ARK) def. Scarpa (MU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Manuel De Luis (MU) def. Munoz (ARK) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (7)
5. Lee (ARK) def. Emmet (BU) 6-5 (6-1), 6-2
6. Thomason (ARK) def. Pagan (BU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-5 (7-3)
Match No. 2 – Doubles
1. Snaider/Emmet (MU) def. Fess/Thomason (ARK) 6-3
2. Nott/den Toom (ARK) def. Mohanty/Scarpa (MU) 6-3
3. Munoz/Parlic (ARK) def. De Luis/Pagan (MU) 6-3