STARKVILLE, Miss. – An early 2-0 lead did not prove to be enough for the Razorbacks, who fell 4-2 to the No. 22 Bulldogs in Starkville, Miss., on Sunday.
Arkansas won the doubles point to enter singles play ahead 1-0 for the fourth time in league play and the second consecutive match. Both of the Razorbacks’ ranked doubles pairs brought home victories, with No. 78 pair of seniors Mike Nott and Manfred Jeske striking first for Arkansas with a dominating 8-2 victory over Mississippi State’s No. 40 pair of Jordan Angus and Malte Stropp. The No. 59 pair of seniors Hall Fess and Pete Thomason clichéd the doubles point for Arkansas with an 8-5 victory on court two, marking their 16th doubles victory of the spring and moving to 5-2 in SEC play, a career- and team-high for the pair.
The Razorbacks opened singles play with a 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs. Jeske notched the sole Arkansas singles victory with an upset at the No. 2 singles position, taking down No. 91 Matle Stropp 6-1, 6-4, for his second straight SEC victory and his second consecutive victory over a ranked opponent. Arkansas forced a third set on four courts but wasn’t able to hold on, as the Bulldogs battled back from a 2-0 deficit to win the match 4-2.
Arkansas will return home for two dual matches this weekend, facing off against No. 16 Florida on Friday and South Carolina on Sunday. Friday’s match will feature free Arkansas Tennis t-shirts for the first 200 fans and coozies will be given to the first 150 attendees on Sunday.
Live stats can be found at www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com as well as by following @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.
No. 22 Mississippi State 4, Arkansas 2
Sunday, March 23 — 1:00 p.m. — Pitts Tennis Center
1. No. 69 Florian Lakat (MSU) def. Mike Nott (ARK) 7-6 (10-4), 6-1
2. Manfred Jeske (ARK) def. No. 91 Malte Stropp (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Zach White (MSU) def. Hall Fess (ARK) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Jordan Angus (MSU) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 7-5, 7-6 (10-6), 6-1
5. Rishab Agarwal (MSU) vs. Johan den Toom (ARK) did not finish
6. Tassilo Schmid (MSU) def. Pete Thomason (ARK) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
Order of finish: (2, 1, 3, 6, 4)
1. #78 Nott/Jeske (ARK) def. No. 40 Angus/Stropp (MSU) 8-2
2. #59 Fess/Thomason (ARK) def. Lakat/Schmid (MSU) 8-5
3. Agarwal/White (MSU) def. Herndon/den Toom (ARK) 8-5
Order of finish: (1, 3, 2)
Download: vs MSU Box.pdf