FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and Razorback Athletics are partnering with Experience Fayetteville and Little Guys Movers to host a Razorback Relief: Operation Houston event on Thursday to benefit those impacted by the recent flooding related to Hurricane Harvey.
Razorback student-athletes, coaches as well as members of the Razorback Spirit Squads will be collecting items for victims of Hurricane Harvey this Thursday, September 7, from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. at the First Thursday event on the Fayetteville Square. Little Guys Movers is donating a truck to collect the supplies for delivery to Houston.
Based on recommendations from participating agencies in Houston, the drive will be accepting:
- Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerky, ready to eat snacks; bottled water; ready- to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, formula, etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
- Blankets, towels, pillows, underwear, new or gently used clothing, etc.
- Dog Food
Cash donations will not be accepted as part of this Razorback Relief effort. Those wishing to contribute financial support are encouraged to contact the American Red Cross and other relief agencies.
“Few things are more important right now than my fellow student-athletes and supporting those affected by Hurricane Harvey and this drive is small way to show that we care,” SAAC President Taliyah Brooks said.
Razorback Relief is an outreach program that engages Razorback student-athletes in helping meet the needs of those impacted by natural disasters around the nation and the world. Previous Razorback Relief efforts have included Razorback student-athletes working to help with hunger relief in Haiti, recovery and clean-up efforts following tornadoes in Central Arkansas and Tuscaloosa, Alabama and massive flooding in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.