LOS ANGELES – Dominant from start to finish, Arkansas women’s tennis picked up a 4-1 victory over UC Irvine in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Saturday night.
With the win, Arkansas improved to 2-1 in dual matches. The Razorbacks were without their No. 1 player Yuliya Lysa for the third straight dual match. Lysa is currently sidelined with an injury.
“Obviously we didn’t get everything we wanted out here in Los Angeles, but tonight’s performance was a positive step for our whole group,” Arkansas women’s tennis head coach Michael Hegarty said. “We learned more about ourselves, and we definitely got stronger as the tournament went on.”
Hegarty’s squad posted strong showings in doubles play, starting out with a 6-2 victory at the top spot as Agne Cepelyte and Shannon Hudson defeated UC Irvine’s duo of Sarah Gong and Mazy Watrous. Ana Oparenovic and Mia Jurasic clinched the doubles point for the Razorbacks with a 6-2 win of their own on court three.
Singles play was much similar as all victories came in straight sets. The Razorbacks would earn victories on courts four, two and five. Jurasic again was first off the court, easing past Stephanie Hazell of UC Irvine 6-1, 6-2. Oparenovic followed suit, grabbing a 6-2, 6-4 win over Watrous. The Anteaters earned their first and only win of the night on court six as Branstine defeated Cepelyte 6-3, 6-4. Sasha Shkorupeieva clinched the match on court five, downing UCI’s Andrea Duva 6-2, 6-3.
The two courts still playing were suspended at the clinch, with Hudson leading 6-4, 3-3 on one and Craft leading 7-5, 2-0 on three.
Arkansas will return to action Friday, Jan. 29 as it plays host to Kansas at 1 p.m. at Dills Indoor Courts.
For more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN
1. Agne Cepelyte/Shannon Hudson (ARK) def. Sarah Gong/Mazy Watrous (UCI) 6-2
2. Flavia Araujo/Makenzie Craft (ARK) vs. Andrea Duva,/Vivien Dvali (UCI) 3-4, unfinished
3. Ana Oparenovic/Mia Jurasic (ARK) def. Cassidy Branstine/Stephanie Hazell (UCI) 6-2
1. Shannon Hudson (ARK) vs. Sarah Gong (UCI) 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
2. Ana Oparenovic (ARK) def. Mazy Watrous (UCI) 6-2, 6-4
3. Makenzie Craft (ARK) vs. Vivien Dvali (UCI) 7-5, 2-0, unfinished
4. Mia Jurasic (ARK) def. Stephanie Hazell (UCI) 6-1, 6-2
5. Sasha Shkorupeieva (ARK) def. Andrea Duva, (UCI) 6-2, 6-3
6. Cassidy Branstine (UCI) def. Agne Cepelyte (ARK) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,2,6,5)