STARKVILLE, Miss. – The University of Arkansas softball team closed out its road weekend with an 8-0 loss to Mississipi State in six innings Sunday. Clarisa Navarro recorded two of the Razorbacks’ three hits in the game which was delayed two hours at the start due to inclement weather in Starkville. With Sunday’s result, Arkansas drops to 27-24 overall and 5-16 in Southeastern Conference play.
The Razorbacks stranded a pair of runners in the first inning after Devon Wallace led off the game with a base hit to left field and Navarro lined an infield single to third base. The Arkansas offense was kept off the bases until Kasey Fagan reached on an error in the fourth and Navarro collected her second hit with a single through the left side of the infield.
Kelly Young got her second start of the weekend. She kept Mississippi State (37-16, 9-12 SEC) scoreless through the first three innings before allowing six runs in the fourth inning. The Madison, Miss., native allowed just five hits—all singles—and struck out two MSU hitters. Young’s outing of 5.2 innings was her longest of the SEC season and longest overall since pitching seven innings March 25 in game one of a doubleheader at Jackson State.
Following its weekend’s trip to Starkville, Arkansas will return to Bogle Park for its final four games of the regular season. The four-game home stand begins April 30 with a midweek matchup with Oklahoma, a re-scheduled game from earlier in the year. The Razorbacks close out the regular season May 2-4 with an SEC series against Florida.
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.
• Defense turned 20th double play of the season
o Lineout to Pocklington at second, threw to Fagan to double off runner at first in fifth inning
• Clarisa Navarro extended streak of reaching base safely to season-best 11 games
o Team-leading seven-game hitting streak with infield single in first inning
o Recorded 14th multi-hit game of the season with single in sixth inning
• Devon Wallace extended streak of reaching base safely to 25 games
o Longest streak by a Razorback this season
o Led off game with bloop single to left field
• Kelly Young’s outing of 5.2 inning was her longest of SEC season
o Longest overall since 7.0 innings March 25 at Jackson State
• All-time series vs. Mississippi State: MSU leads, 33-25
• Ninth single game/series this season against an opponent ranked or receiving votes
• Busy week ahead at #BoglePark with four games, beginning Wednesday v OU at 3p #NeverYield
• Friday’s game at #BoglePark v Florida is Senior Day for Jayme Gee, first pitch at 6p #WPS
• Saturday’s game at #BoglePark v Florida is Senior Day for Ashley Martindale, first pitch at 1p #WPS
• Sunday’s game at #BoglePark v Florida is Senior Day for Amanda Geile, first pitch at 1p #WPS
• Three of four games this week will be televised including @ESPN broadcasts Saturday, Sunday v Florida #WPS