FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas women’s tennis team took three matches from visiting Jackson State Sunday afternoon at the Billingsley Tennis Center. The No. 39 Razorbacks up their season record to 10-2. Arkansas’ 10-2 record is its best start to the season since opening the 2011 spring season 12-2.
The Razorbacks won all three matches by a 4-0 tally.
“I’m pleased with our efforts overall today,” head coach Michael Hegarty said. “It’s good we were able to showcase our depth as we near conference play.”
Arkansas serves up Southeastern Conference play March 1 when it hosts Missouri.
In the first match against Jackson State, Arkansas won the doubles point behind a 6-1 win from junior Yuliya Lysa and sophomore Nastassia Rubel on court one and a 6-4 victory on court two by sophomore Oleksandra Shkorupeieva and junior Flavia Araujo.
In singles, Arkansas won all six first sets. Lysa won the second point of the match, beating Anastasia Zvyahintseva by retirement, 4-1, ret. Shkorupeieva double bageled Ilona Zuishliuk on court three, the fourth opponent already this spring she has defeated by a 6-0, 6-0 margin. Rubel clinched the match for the Razorbacks on court two, besting Daria Butorina 6-1, 6-0.
The second and third matches against the Tigers were played using the four singles and one doubles format. The second match saw Lysa, Mia Jurasic, Nicole Breaux and Peyton Jennings all collect straight-set wins to help Arkansas with the sweep.
The Razorbacks again swept the third match behind wins from Lysa, Shkorupeieva, Rubel and Araujo.
Arkansas heads to West Lafayette, Ind., for a pair of matches this coming weekend. The Razorbacks will face No. 33 Purdue Feb. 20 and No. 55 Memphis Feb. 21.
NOTES FROM JSU:
– Arkansas’ 10-2 record is its best start to the season since opening the 2011 spring campaign 12-2
– Arkansas improves to 5-0 all-time against Jackson State
– Behind her three wins Sunday, junior Yuliya Lysa leads the team in singles wins this spring with a 9-1 record
– Sophomore Oleksandra Shkorupeieva is second on the team in singles wins, posting an 8-2 record. Four of her wins have come by a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of the opposition.
– Arkansas remains unbeaten this season on court four, amassing a 9-0 mark.
MATCH ONE RESULTS – NO. 39 ARKANSAS 4, JACKSON STATE 0
1) Rubel/Lysa (UA) def. Zvyahintseva/Phakamad (JSU) 6-1
2) Shkorupeieva/Araujo (UA) def. Zuishliuk/Butorina (JSU) 6-4
3) Jurasic/Jennings (UA) vs. Anath/Angermann (JSU) 4-4, unf.
1) Yuliya Lysa (UA) def. Anastasia Zvyahintseva (JSU) 4-1, ret.
2) Nastassia Rubel (UA) vs. Daria Butorina (JSU) 6-1, 6-0
3) Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (UA) vs. Ilona Zuishliuk (JSU) 6-0, 6-0
4) Mia Jurasic (UA) vs. Karina Ono (JSU) 6-2, 3-1, unf.
5) Peyton Jennings (UA) vs. Siriporn Phakamad (JSU) 6-3, 2-1, unf.
6) Nicole Breaux (UA) vs. Rebekah Adewumi (JSU) 6-1, 3-2, unf.
MATCH TWO RESULTS – NO. 39 ARKANSAS 4, JACKSON STATE 0
1) Shkorupeieva/Araujo (UA) vs. Adewumi/Phakamad (JSU) Not contested
1) Yuliya Lysa (UA) def. Ananth (JSU) 6-1, 6-0
2) Mia Jurasic (UA) def. Butorina (JSU) 6-4, 6-4
3) Nicole Breaux (UA) def. Zuishliuk (JSU) 6-3, 6-2
4) Peyton Jennings (UA) def. Karina Ono (JSU) 6-4, 6-2
MATCH THREE RESULTS – NO. 39 ARKANSAS 4, JACKSON STATE 0
1) Jurasic/Jennings (UA) vs. Ono/Zuishliuk (JSU) Not contested
1) Yuliya Lysa (UA) def. Phakamad (JSU) 6-2, 6-0
2) Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (UA) def. Julia Angermann (JSU) 6-1, 6-1
3) Nastassia Rubel (UA) def. Zvyahintseva (JSU) 6-1, ret.
4) Flavia Araujo (UA) def. Adewumi (JSU) 6-1, 6-2