FAYETTEVILLE— Shannon Hudson and Sarah McLean held leads over ranked opponents through the first set, but the No. 47 University of Arkansas women’s tennis team was defeated 4-0by No. 2 Georgiaat the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark., on Friday.
Hudson held a 6-5 lead over No. 16 Silvia Garciaand McLean was up6-2, 4-4, on No. 63Lilly Kimbellthrough the opening frame, but both were left unfinished after the Bulldogs claimed three consecutive singles wins and ultimately thedual match.
The Razorbacks (13-13, 2-9 SEC) split their day’s work, blanking Louisiana Tech Friday morning for another RPI win behind a 4-0 victory. After UA won the doubles point and took a 1-0 lead, underclassmen Oleksandra Shkorupeieva, Hudson and Kimberley – Ann Surinfinished things off with three straight wins in singles.
FRESHMAN PHENOMShannon Hudson continues what’s been a strong debut as a true freshman this season. In addition to earning her team-leading 13th win of the season Friday against Louisiana Tech, the Virginia Beach, Va., native led No. 16 Silvia Garcia of Georgia through the first set before the match was left unfinished.Hudson has won eighth straight matches and improved to 3-0 at No. 1 singles. She has played all other matches exclusively at No. 2 singles.
#NEVERYIELD MOMENT OF THE DAYBrittany Huxleytrailed 5-2 in the first set at No. 6 singles, but fought off a total of nine set points and forced a 6-6 tiebreak, which she woul then claim 8-6. The sophomore from Grafton, Australia, led 7-6, 5-2 before the dual match was called off unfinished.
Thisits final home stand of the season, Arkansas closes out its 2013-14 home slate facingNo. 45 Tennesseeat 12 p.m. Sunday. NOTICE: The first 150fans in attendance for Sunday’s final homematch of the seasonagainst Tennessee will receive a FREE ARKANSAS TENNIS COFFEE MUG.
For more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow@RazorbackWTENon Twitter.
#2 Georgia 4,#47 Arkansas 0DUAL MATCH RECAP:– Georgia 1-0: Despite contested battles at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, Georgia was able to pull out the doubles point and take an early 1-0 lead in the dual match. Pang/Shkorupeieva were tied 6-6 with No. 68 Kimbell/Brinson before the match was left unfinished.
– Georgia 2-0: Brittany Huxley fell 6-3, 6-1, to Mia King at No. 6 singles, as the Bulldogs extended their early lead to 2-0 in the dual match.
– Georgia 3-0: Oleksandra Shkorupeieva made things interesting early, but was ultimately defeated by Kate Fuller, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 4 singles.
– Georgia 4-0: No. 21 Maho Kowase clinched the dual match for Georgia, earning a 6-4, 6-1, win over Yang Pang at No. 2 singles.SINGLES RESULTS1)Shannon Hudson (ARK) led No. 19 Silvia Garcia (UGA)6-5 unf.
2) No. 21 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Yang Pang (ARK) 6-4, 6-1
3) Sarah McLean (ARK) led No. 63 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) 6-2, 4-4
4) Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (ARK) 6-4, 6-2
5) Caroline Brinson (UGA) led Kimberley – Ann Surin (ARK) 6-4, 1-4
6) Mia King (UGA) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
DOUBLES RESULTS1) No. 25 Fuller/Garcia (UGA) def. Surin/Huxley (ARK) 8-5
2) Pang/Shkorupeieva (ARK) vs. No. 68 Kimbell/Brinson (UGA) 6-6 unf.
3) King/Kowase (UGA) def. McLean/Hudson (ARK) 8-4
#47 Arkansas 4, Louisiana Tech 0DUAL MATCH RECAP–Arkansas 1-0: The Razorbacks earned wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to claim the early doubles point and take a 1-0 lead in the dual match. Pang/Shkorupeieva won 8-3 at No. 2 doubles, then Surin/Huxley clinched with an 8-6 victory at No. 1 doubles.
–Arkansas 2-0: Shkorupeieva kept the pedal to the metal in singles play, running off with a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 4 singles over Marta Sramkova. It marked the 12th win of the season for the freshman from Odessa, Ukraine.
–Arkansas 3-0: Literally seconds later, fellow freshmanShannon Hudsonnotched a win at No. 1 singles (6-4, 6-0) and extended the Razorbacks lead to a commanding 3-0.
–Arkansas 4-0:Kimberley – Ann Surinlocked up the 4-0 blanking of Louisiana Tech, winning 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5 singles for her 11th win of the season.
SINGLES RESULTS1)Shannon Hudson(ARK) def. Alexandra Starkova (LTU) 6-4, 6-0
2)Yang Pang(ARK) led Joanna Nalborska (LTU) 7-6 (12-10), 1-0 unf.
3) Jazmin Britos (LTU) ledSarah McLean(ARK) 6-2, 3-4 unf.
4)Oleksandra Shkorupeieva(ARK) def. Marta Sramkova (LTU) 6-1, 6-2
5)Kimberley – Ann Surin(ARK) def. Melanie Urvoy (LTU) 6-4, 6-2
6)Brittany Huxley(ARK) led Manoela Chiacchio (LTU) 7-6 (8-6), 5-2 unf.
DOUBLES RESULTS1) Surin/Huxley (ARK) def. Britos/Nalborska (LTU) 8-6
2) Pang/Shkorupeieva (ARK) def. Urvoy/Starkova (LTU) 8-3
3) Hudson/McLean (ARK) vs. Chiacchio/Merker (LTU) 6-6 unf.