FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Junior Maria Fassi and the fourth-ranked University of Arkansas women’s golf team picked up where they left off winning the individual and team titles at the 2018 Lady Puerto Rico Classic in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Tuesday.
The Razorbacks’ final round 296 was the low round for the day while their round one score of 284 was low round for the tournament field this weekend. Arkansas finished shooting 882 (284–302–296) and was 10 strokes better that the tournament runner-up.
The win is the fourth in five events this season and it is the third time Arkansas has finished on top of the leaderboard in Puerto Rico. The victory is the third of the season for Fassi and her second career win at this event. Fassi is the third Razorback to win at least three events in a season (Stacy Lewis and Emily Tubert).
Fassi finished 3-over shooting a 216 (68–75–73) in extremely windy conditions. She had 11 birdies over three days and played her final nine holes even with six consecutive par holes to hold the lead. She is one of two players (Stephanie Meadows, Alabama) to win the event twice.
Junior Dylan Kim played to her fourth top-5 finish in five events with a tie for fifth place. Kim carded a 221 (71–76–74) finishing round one with back-to-back birdies, part of seven birdies for the weekend. Senior Alana Uriell tied for 16th overall shooting a 227 (72–77–78) while Kaylee Benton (78–77–73) and Maria Hoyos (73–77–78) tied for 20th overall shooting 228. Senior Jody LaBarbera rounded out the Razorback scores with a 234 (84–74–76). She moved up more than 20 spots over the three-day event.
• Maria Fassi has three victories this season and five for her career. She is the third Razorback in program history to win three or more events in a single season (Stacy Lewis 6; Emily Tubert 3).
• Arkansas has posted four tournament titles this year (Mason Rudolph Classic, ANNIKA Intercollegiate, Maryb S. Kauth Invitational, Lady Puerto Rico Classic). It is the most tournament titles in a single year.
• Arkansas has produced four medalists and five winners at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic (Amanda McCurdy-2006; Stacy Lewis- 2008; Emily Tubert-2013; Maria Fassi-2016, 2018).
• Arkansas has won the team title at this event three times (2014, 2015, 2018).
• Razorback head coach Shauna Taylor has paced Arkansas to 16 tournament titles since the 2007-08 season. She has won multiple tournaments in a single season four times.
|1||Arkansas||284 – 302 –296—882||30|
|2||Iowa State||296 – 295 –301— 892||40|
|3||Kent State||292 – 302 –303— 897||45|
|4||NC State||299 – 301 –304— 904||52|
|7||East Carolina||303 –310–299—912||60|
From Shauna Taylor
I’m super proud of this group. It was not only a test of our games but a test of our mental fortitude. They just did a fantastic job. It was a collaborative effort and it took everyone on the team playing their hearts out. When you have winds of 20-30 miles an hour it tests you in all areas and I think this was a great way to open our spring season. This kind of a test shows us areas that we can grow and improve but also that when it gets tough, we can step up and hit some great golf shots.
For Maria (Fassi) – she was just fantastic in these conditions. To shoot 3-over in these winds shows that she is learning to win in all kinds of conditions. She did shoot it awesome today. Dylan (Kim) finished fifth so another top-5 finish for her. She has been a great addition to our team. Jordy did a great job of bouncing back. She had two great days and it shows a lot about her senior leadership and willingness to fight until the last putt drops.
Keep up with all of the latest news and information and get behind the scenes looks into our program on our social media accounts. Follow us on Twitter at @RazorbackWGolf and check out our Facebook page “Razorback Women’s Golf.” Stats, news and player information can be found at ArkansasRazorbacks.com.